Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Burning Out

My job makes me and my body very sad :( I sit in a chair all day and do two things: audit and match checks. In fact, those are the only two skills I use each week.

A moron can match checks - All you have to do is check to see if the amount, invoice # and date, and the remit address matches and then paperclip them together.

Auditing, on the other hand, takes a trifle more brain power, albeit not much. You have to make sure the receipt amount match the amount expensed on the expense report. You also have to make sure that there is a payment method (like cash or credit card) listed somewhere on the receipt, showing that they, in fact, paid for this expense.

Sounds easy, right? Except for the fact that employees are constantly trying to cheat the company by trying to get reimbursed for items they never paid for and dues for professional groups they are not a part of. It is here where my miserly side can shine :P

All in all, the tasks I must do for my day job are worthy of the "short bus" at best, except that the sheer volume of work is stifling! I audit around 400-700 expense reports a week and match anywhere from 175 to 300 checks every week. I'm also solely responsible for releasing payments for a whole country: Canada.

This job hurts my soul. It would be easy except for the fact that I'm always fucking busy. Plus, my back is killing me. Please save me from this corporate hell.

1 comment:

JK said...

Yay you mentioned my country. hahaha Typical Canadian response. :) I think that one would get a little crazy doing nearly the same thing every single day.

Do you have to report the fraudulent claims to anyone? Are the frauds held accountable for their fake expenses?