Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Vacation 2008 - Day 4

I'm constantly surprised. It's like I'm living the life of Quyen that never had the possibility of happening. A whirlwind standing in one place - me. My life. My journey, and everyone else passes through to share their lives with me.

Padraic, the guy from Ireland that I went out to the bar with the other night, and I had Dim Sum together at Yank Sing and then proceeded to go to Pier 39 to buy my sourdough teddy bear (which is SO ugly lol) After that, we went to Japan Town and had sushi and I bought a $200 kimono. It is so beautiful and has long flowing sleeves. It was described to me as the "business suits" for the women of Japan. It's vintage and has some sweat stains in the sleeves and whatnot. But I justify the price by the quality of the craftsmanship and the fact that it's a piece of history, and also, I could have easily spent $200 on a designer dress from BCBG or some other place.

After that, I came home and decided to hang out with a couple friends, who I, again, had sex with :P Both were pretty amazing experiences. Well, the first one was anyway. It's weird. I would never do this in my normal life. But I feel like maybe this is all sort of some weird yearning I have to do these things anyway. Maybe I'm not so different from Mitch after all?

For dinner, I visited the hotel restaurant and laid $51.00 on a rich clam chowder and miso glazed sea bass with clam dumplings. Exquisite!

I can't wait to get home and wear my kimono somewhere! So, today is the DeYoung Museum and the Legion of Honor. Brunch and a possible stroll in the park... and then the culinary finale of my trip... Gary Danko @ 9PM :)

5 comments:

JK said...

Sounds like you are having a pretty great vacation. A little sex, some shopping, good food, and a little self dicovery. Nice work.

Chris said...

While I'm glad to see that, as usual, you have the typical acolytes supporting your decisions, sometimes we all need a swift kick to the proverbial ass. It strikes me, as it should you, that comparing yourself to Mitch is degrading. The man was cheap, lacked self-introspection, was selfish (which you have been accused of being this week), and torpedoed a relationship because he favored sex over emotional stability. I find it laughable and sad that you would use Mitch as an exemplar for future behavior.

That said, this is your vacation and you're free to do what you want. However, as Cicero and Cassius would say, your behavior on this vacation, just as your behavior during difficult times, defines who you are and what you stand for more than your behavior during all other times.

JK said...

Chris, speaking of typical. Do you ever speak/write complimentary woords to anyone. Let it go, how long has it been? Let her live her life as she chooses. I'm sure if she valued your opinion she would do exactly as you command. I'm "just" a friend she has never met. I'm pretty sure Q is doing what a lot of people do, and have done, for years on vacations. I don't think they all ended up living the life of a crack whore. It sounds to me like you think every decision she has made before, during, and after your relationship was not what you would have done. Let her be.

Allison said...

In Chris' defense, (this is his girlfriend of two years,) Quyen "does" happen to value his opinion. In fact, she calls him several times weekly, many times for his advice/opinion. She has even said that she considers Chris to be her best friend. And as a friend, some times you have to say something that the other person might not want to hear for their best interest. That's what helps keep them on track. While everyone else might just be going, "Woo hoo, great job!," some times a bit of harsh reality is needed to be pointed out from those who really care.

JK said...

Maybe all I should have said is that there are worse things in life to be doing.

The "acolyte"