Monday, May 21, 2007

Will I ever let myself fall in love again?

Good question. I always think that I can't really depend on others. It's not true, but it makes me feel like I'm in control. And I think that's the thing about love. When you REALLY love someone, you trust them to handle life in such a way that you don't always have to feel like you HAVE to be in control. That's why love is a combination of respect, trust, and admiration; you need them all in order to be in it at all!

So, in that sense, to fall in love, the person has to meet or exceed all your expectations. You have to know, at your core, that your partner is going to be there to handle things, no matter what. That they are your equal or better. So that you know everything will turn out okay.

And maybe that's why some men (and even some women) are unfaithful. Maybe the strong, provider-type male seeks the weak, innocent female to care for. Of course the woman will trust the man when shit hits the fan... but can the man really depend on his woman? If he can, then he can easily be in love... but what if he can't? Can he still be in love? Fully in love? Most likely not.

Maybe I'm one of those women that looks for weak, innocent men to take care of - that I am the provider to them. And in theory, I am unfaithful because I don't really think they'll be adequate in taking care of things when I really need them. Maybe it's true that I need to find someone who is my equal, so that I, too, can fall in love and feel at peace with my partner. But I know, after all said and done - even with my less than pure track record, that I really am an amazing woman with much to offer. How many men could realistically and honestly meet that kind of standard?

No comments: