Saturday, July 26, 2008

Villainy

"Those who unwillingly accept a fate of villainy become unwilling and ironic martyrs." - Quyen Nguyen  

I just saw Dark Knight (an amazing movie) and in it was the idea that sometimes people have to take on the role of the "bad guy" in order for others to feel comfortable with their own lives.  I almost cried when I heard that because it was something that struck a chord in my own life.  How many times have I, myself, vilified the people in my life in order to make sense of it and feel better about myself or my actions?  Bo, Mom, Chelle, Chris 2.0, Kevin, Mitch, all my other boyfriends, and basically everyone I've ever known or wanted to know has played the antagonist at one point or another.

In fact, villainy is contained in all aspects of life - from self-hate to prejudice to racism and beyond.  Is it natural for people to vilify all that doesn't coincide with their world view?  Is that why human beings are so quick to betray and change sides, whether it be politics, relationships, or personal philosophy?  

It's understandable that people want "yes men" in their corners, but does everyone who says "no", or simply "maybe" necessarily have to be grouped within the ranks of Baal and Mephisto?  Why can't Chris 2.0 just be some kid who can't get his shit together to save his life?  Why couldn't Kevin be given the benefit of the doubt to change?  Why do others always become the villains?  Why are we our only true protagonists?

I suppose the answer is that it simply helps us understand our lives.  Or rather, it helps us survive by not having to deal with what's really there.  By vilifying everyone, we dehumanize them, which in turn takes away from our own humanity.  In the end, we are the villains of our stories.  Our happy ending depends mainly on how willing we are to forgive ourselves.

No comments: